Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Keep Your Brains Off My Hands



















It's been a tough week knitting-wise. Thanks to a post on one of my Ravelry groups I have been left pondering my own mortality. And by mortality I of course mean knitting style. The issue of "process" vs. "project" knitters came up and I want to be a process knitter, but if I'm being really honest with myself I'm a project knitter. In the spirit of trying to improve my knitterly-self I've spent much of this week to knit lace. More on that next week.

This week (when I wasn't tearing my hair out trying to decipher lace charts for next week) I made a Flash hat. Actually, I made two. The first one came out much too small and I have designated it as a Christmas present for Kevin's nephew. The second one was a bit more thought out and successfully fits my head :) My father and I have collected comic books together for as long as I can remember and the crown jewel of our collection is a mint-condition Flash of Two Worlds. As I was working on the Flash hat Kevin and I wound up arguing over whether or not the Flash could kill someone by vibrating his hand so fast that he could pass it through their skull and then stop vibrating said hand and kill them via brain-poking (the medical term). Kevin suggested (and is wrong, of course) that if he were to stop vibrating that hand while it is in someone's skull his hand would have brains inside of it as the molecules would mix. Obviously this is false. His hand would seek to recreate it's original genetic structure and wouldn't allow the brains to get caught. Bodies reject things that don't belong there. It's science.

On an unrelated to brains note, I positively LOVED the yarn I used this week. It knits beautifully, shows ribbing fantastically, and sparkles. Nothing competes with sparkles.



Flash Hat

©Megan-Anne Forsythe, 2009

Difficulty level: Easy

Yarn: (1 skein each)

Vanna’s Glamour™ in Ruby Red (Color A) and Topaz (Color B)

Needles:

1 set of double pointed needles, size US3

Abbreviations:

CO = cast on

BO = bind off

K = Knit

P = Purl

Sts = stitches

R = Row

K2tog = Knit 2 stitches together (decrease 1)

Instructions:

Hat is knit in the round from the bottom up.

CO 140 sts with color B.

R1: K

R2-11: work all stitches in K2P2 ribbing.

Break color B, join color A

R12-17: With color A, K all sts.

Determine where you want the front of the hat to be. I like to make the front of mine the opposite side of the beginning of each row (so ½ way around the hat).

Next 23 rows: Work chart on front of hat, K all other sts with color A.

Next 20 rows: K all sts with color A.

Begin decrease rows:

R1: K2tog, K5 around

R2: K

R3: K4, K2tog around

R4: K

R5: K2tog, K3 around

R6: K

R7: K2, K2tog around

R8: K

R9: K2tog, K1 around

R10: K

R11: K2tog around

BO by breaking yarn and pulling it through all sts and pulling yarn tight so no hole remains on top. Weave in ends. Now put it on and run really fast.

1 comment:

  1. I'm inclined to agree with you. Just because the Flash is vibrating his hand inside someone's skull doesn't mean the molecules of his hand are being separated and wedged apart by brain molecules.

    ReplyDelete